    SubjectRe: [RFC] mount flag "direct"
    On 2002-09-03T17:44:10,
    "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb@it.uc3m.es> said:

    > No! I do not want /A/ fs, but /any/ fs, and I want to add the vfs
    > support necessary :-).
    >
    > That's really what my question is driving at. I see that I need to
    > make VFS ops communicate "tag requests" to the block layer, in
    > order to implement locking. Now you and Rik have pointed out one
    > operation that needs locking. My next question is obviously: can you
    > point me more or less precisely at this operation in the VFS layer?
    > I've only started studying it and I am relatively unfamiliar with it.

    Your approach is not feasible.

    Distributed filesystems have a lot of subtle pitfalls - locking, cache
    coherency, journal replay to name a few - which you can hardly solve at the
    VFS layer.

    Good reading would be any sort of entry literature on clustering, I would
    recommend "In search of clusters" and many of the whitepapers Google will turn
    up for you, as well as the OpenGFS source.

    Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>

    --
    Immortality is an adequate definition of high availability for me.
    --- Gregory F. Pfister