    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] [RFC] consolidate /sbin/hotplug call for pciand usb

    > This raises a generally interesting question: When should a driver
    > module be loaded?

    It is an interesting question, but it is not a kernel problem :-)

    > I think it's clear that the answer must depend on the particular driver,
    > and that no single scheme involving usage counts (or the equivalent) can
    > suffice for every situation.
    > Is there a way to let the kernel provide a variety of mechanisms and let
    > the device driver (or even the user) select which one gets used?

    That is more or less what is in place. There's a kernel aspect to the problem,
    because the kernel needs to implement an unload if nothing is bound to method,
    as user space cannot do that without a race.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.019 / U:7.012 seconds]