SubjectRe: UP IO-APIC
On 2002-09-24T19:19:34,
Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@redhat.com> said:

> > >APIC makes perfect sense albeit rare. Single processor IO APICs are very
> > >rare and are usually MP systems with only one processor.
> > I think most AMD Athlon boards have an IO APIC
> I'd love to have it enabled in a distro kernel, but as Arjan pointed out, it
> currently breaks some laptops if enabled.

Well, _not_ enabling IO-APIC on UP breaks my Athlon / KT333 at home; random
freezes are the result, so I prefer to enable it...

So whichever default is chosen, someone is burned. I hate hardware.

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>

--
Principal Squirrel
Research and Development, SuSE Linux AG

``Immortality is an adequate definition of high availability for me.''
--- Gregory F. Pfister