    SubjectRe: irqs on large machines (patch)
    PowerPC 64 (p690 in particular) had a similar but different
    problem with NR_IRQS.

    The hardware gives direct vectors, but the number space is 9 bits
    to identify the pci host bridge in the drawers, and yet 4 more to
    identify the source on the pci bus. All of the 9 bits are used at
    various levels of the hardware for routing, so the global number
    space is a bit sparse.

    Each interrupt can be sent to the global queue or a specific
    processor's queue.

    Rather than size NR_IRQS for the native index, the hardware numbers
    are mapped with a simple mapping table that directly maps dense
    linux irqs to hardware numbers. Thus the linux NR_IRQs is set based on
    the total number of hardware sources. (And yes, we found we needed
    /proc/interrupts to be seq_file based, but that is long merged).

    Perhaps this will give you ideas for other alternatives? This approach
    could also allow you to assign IO interrupts to a node if your hardware
    allows.

    milton
    --
    [I'll look for any replys on the list]