    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Native POSIX Thread Library 0.1
    From
    On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 09:38:52AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > Could you comment on how whell this works (or not) with linuxthreads,
    > Solaris, and NGPT? I realize you probably haven't had time to look at NPTL
    > yet. If an N:M model is really better for your application you might be
    > able to just run NGPT.

    I can't. I'm in a different OS community, FreeBSD, and I deal with issues
    related to threading systems there. There's many variables that could be
    at play for various performance categories.

    > Since preempt threads seem a problem, cound a dedicated machine run w/o
    > preempt? I assume when you say "high load" that you would be talking a
    > server, where performance is critical.

    The JVM itself can has a habit of really stretching the amount of resources
    available in many areas and fringe logic in commonly used systems. I can't
    really say what the problems are until the Blackdown folks start integrating
    the new threading model and then start testing it.

    However, there is a mutex fast path in the code itself that can be optionally
    used in place of the the OS back version. They felt it was significant to do
    the work for that for some reason, so I'm just going to assume that this is
    important until otherwise noted.

    bill

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.030 / U:1.100 seconds]