    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Native POSIX Thread Library 0.1

    On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Peter Waechtler wrote:

    > Getting into kernel is not the same as a context switch. Return EAGAIN
    > or EWOULDBLOCK is definetly _not_ causing a context switch.

    this is a common misunderstanding. When switching from thread to thread in
    the 1:1 model, most of the cost comes from entering/exiting the kernel. So
    *once* we are in the kernel the cheapest way is not to piggyback to
    userspace to do some userspace context-switch - but to do it right in the

    in the kernel we can do much higher quality scheduling decisions than in
    userspace. SMP affinity, various statistics are right available in
    kernel-space - userspace does not have any of that. Not to talk about

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.056 / U:10.656 seconds]