    SubjectRe: invalidate_inode_pages in 2.5.32/3
    Trond Myklebust wrote:
    > > Look, idunnoigiveup. Like scsi and USB, NFS is a black hole
    > > where akpms fear to tread. I think I'll sulk until someone
    > > explains why this work has to be performed in the context of a
    > > process which cannot do it.
    > I'd be happy to move that work out of the RPC callbacks if you could
    > point out which other processes actually can do it.

    Well it has to be a new thread, or user processes.

    Would it be possible to mark the inode as "needs invalidation",
    and make user processes check that flag once they have i_sem?

    > The main problem is that the VFS/MM has no way of relabelling pages as
    > being invalid or no longer up to date: I once proposed simply clearing
    > PG_uptodate on those pages which cannot be cleared by
    > invalidate_inode_pages(), but this was not to Linus' taste.

    Yes, clearing PageUptodate without holding the page lock is
    pretty scary.

    Do we really need to invalidate individual pages, or is it real-life
    acceptable to invalidate the whole mapping?

    Doing an NFS-special invalidate function is not a problem, btw - my
    current invalidate_inode_pages() is just 25 lines. It's merely a
    matter of working out what it should do ;)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.046 / U:30.492 seconds]