    SubjectRe: MediaGX/Geode performance fix, Was: Which processor/board for embedded NTP
    Alan Cox <> writes:

    > On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 20:39, Christer Weinigel wrote:
    > > This mail contains a patch to fix a performance problem with many
    > > Cyrix MediaGX/NatSemi Geode platforms. The register settings have
    > > been officially recommended by NatSemi themselves. The patch is
    > > against linux-2.4.20-pre7. Should this be merged into the mainsteam
    > > linux kernel?
    > This wont actually make an iota of difference in most cases. The CS5530
    > IDE driver will force this value to 0x14 anyway. It also sets MWI on te
    > X-bus which is needed too.

    Ok, it did make a 5% difference when I did some quick tests on TCP
    performance. But I didn't have the CS5530 IDE driver loaded.

    > Probably the fixup should be done in the PCI quirks.

    Sounds it should be moved from the IDE driver to quirks at least, but
    that might be a 2.5 thing in that case.

    Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
    Christer Weinigel <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.019 / U:214.292 seconds]