SubjectRe: MediaGX/Geode performance fix, Was: Which processor/board for embedded NTP
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 20:39, Christer Weinigel wrote:
> > This mail contains a patch to fix a performance problem with many
> > Cyrix MediaGX/NatSemi Geode platforms. The register settings have
> > been officially recommended by NatSemi themselves. The patch is
> > against linux-2.4.20-pre7. Should this be merged into the mainsteam
> > linux kernel?
>
> This wont actually make an iota of difference in most cases. The CS5530
> IDE driver will force this value to 0x14 anyway. It also sets MWI on te
> X-bus which is needed too.

Ok, it did make a 5% difference when I did some quick tests on TCP
performance. But I didn't have the CS5530 IDE driver loaded.

> Probably the fixup should be done in the PCI quirks.

Sounds it should be moved from the IDE driver to quirks at least, but
that might be a 2.5 thing in that case.

/Christer

Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
Christer Weinigel <christer@weinigel.se> http://www.weinigel.se