    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Native POSIX Thread Library 0.1
    On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 02:50:29PM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
    > > how frequently does the GC thread run?
    > Don't remember off hand, but it's like to be several times a second which is
    > often enough to be a problem especially on large systems with high load.
    > The JVM with incremental GC is being targetted for media oriented tasks
    > using the new NIO, 3d library, etc... slowness in safepoints would cripple it
    > for these tasks. It's a critical item and not easily address by the current
    > 1:1 model.

    Also throwing a signal to get the ucontext is pretty a expensive way of getting
    it. But you folks know this already. Solaris threading has this via a some special
    libraries. For large number of actively running threads, say, executing in a middle
    of a method block it is potentially a huge problem for scalability.

    Again, it's a critical issue from what I see of this.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.028 / U:13.140 seconds]