    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Re: 2.5.26 hotplug failure

    On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Brad Hards wrote:

    > > Considering that the main use of that file that I know about was
    > > implicit (usbfs is available if its files are present, another
    > > assumption broken in 2.5), I'm not sure I feel any pain... :-)
    > OK. Everytime someone goes "I've got usbfs loaded, and here is
    > /proc/bus/usb/devices, but can't send you /proc/bus/usb/drivers", I'll assume
    > that you two will answer the question.
    >
    > Helping people is hard. Please don't make it harder. :-(

    We definitely don't want to make it harder, for users or developers. We're
    actually trying to make it easier for both, even though it may not be
    apparent right now.

    Converting code to the driver model means we get to consolidate a lot of
    similar yet disparate interfaces and code, which most people seem to
    favor.

    As far as userspace goes, there are tools being developed to extract
    data from driverfs, to give users easy access to device and driver
    attributes; the stuff that was encoded in various proc files. With these
    tools, $user should be able to extract $data for $developer WRT $object.

    And, they should work identically for any instance of an object type
    that's encoded in driverfs: all devices or all bus types or all class
    types, etc, will behave identicaly and give similar data.

    For example, to extract the data you mention above, it would be something
    like:

    $ lsbus usb devices > usb.info
    $ lsbus usb drivers >> usb.info

    No, they're not done, and so I'm all talk about at this point. But, this
    has been the plan all along..

    -pat

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.023 / U:1.564 seconds]