    SubjectRe: 2.5.36-mm1 dbench 512 profiles
    On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 04:17:10PM +0000, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
    > > Isn't increased hold time _good_ on NUMA-Q? I thought that the
    > > really costy operation was bouncing the lock around the interconnect,
    > > not holding it.
    > Depends what you get it return. The object of fastwalk was to stop the
    > cacheline bouncing on all the individual dentry counters, at the cost
    > of increased dcache_lock hold times. It's a tradeoff ... and in this
    > instance it wins. In general, long lock hold times are bad.

    I don't think individual dentry counters are as much a problem as
    acquisition of dcache_lock for every path component lookup as done
    by the earlier path walking algorithm. The big deal with fastwalk
    is that it decreases the number of acquisitions of dcache_lock
    for a webserver workload by 70% on an 8-CPU machine. That is avoiding
    a lot of possible cacheline bouncing of dcache_lock.

    > > In any case, we all know often acquired global locks are a bad idea
    > > on a 32-way, and should be avoided like the plague. I just wish we
    > > had a dcache solution that didn't even need locks as much... :)
    > Well, avoiding data corruption is a preferable goal too. The point of
    > RCU is not to have to take a lock for the common read case. I'd expect
    > good results from it on the NUMA machines - never been benchmarked, as
    > far as I recall.

    You can see that in wli's dbench 512 results on his NUMA box.

    Dipankar Sarma <>
    Linux Technology Center, IBM Software Lab, Bangalore, India.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.021 / U:116.836 seconds]