    SubjectRe: Problem with the O(1) scheduler in 2.4.19
    On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Tobias Ringstrom wrote:
    > > While the O(1) scheduler has performed very well for me in most
    > > situations, I have one big problem with it. When running a
    > > Counter-Strike game server on Linux 2.4.19 with the sched-2.4.19-rc2-A4
    > > patch applied, the server process is niced from the default value of 15
    > > (interactive) to 25 (background). This means that every time crond
    > > wakes up or a mail arrives the game latency becomes extremely bad and
    > > the users experience lag.
    > does the same problem happen if you renice the game server to -10 or -15?

    The process was at nice level 0, which I think corresponds to prio 15-25
    for interactive to background tasks if I understand things correctly.
    When I used top to renice the process to -10, the prio became 15, i.e. it
    was still considered non-interactive. I even tried -20 (or maybe -19),
    and it was still at the non-interactive prio.

    In other words: For all nice values I tried (-20, -10, 0), the prio was
    20+nice+5. When the server is lightly loaded, the prio is 20+nice-5.

    Note that even when the server was loaded, it only used 70% CPU, which I
    suppose must mean that it does not use up the time slices, which I thought
    should make the kernel treat the process as interactive. Is there a
    description of the criteria somewhere (other than in the source code)?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.022 / U:2.888 seconds]