    SubjectRe: Hi is this critical??
    On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 11:41:44AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 09:20, Andre Hedrick wrote:
    > > MORONS that think the drive vendors are not clued into the issue.
    > > I have to read and vote on NASTY proposals, whose intent is to check for
    > > G-Force damage. If you think that record is not findable, even if you
    >
    > Sounds good news for honest users. What it does want though is the
    > ability of users to check that data when the disk arrives, because we
    > have delivery people, and they think that if looks like a box its
    > probably a football.

    No. Sounds _bad_ news for honest users. Lets be realistic here.
    Parcel company uses package as a football, then delivers it.

    How many parcel companies will wait while you unpack the hard drive,
    dismantle your machine, connect the drive, power it up and check to
    see if the drive has suffered too much shock?

    Yep, that's right, none. If you try to, the parcel delivery person
    will get really ratty. So you sign for it after checking that the
    outside box is undamaged.

    Then you find out that its been used in the world cup. You try to
    return it to the vendor, but the vendor says its your fault for
    dropping the drive. You protest, but the vendor refuses to listen
    because they've got their technology that says so in their product.

    So, its NOT great for honest users. Its another form of "Digital
    Rights Management."

    --
    Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk) The developer of ARM Linux