SubjectRe: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000
Date

davem@redhat.com said:
> > Er, surely the same goes for sys_sendfile? Why have a new system
> > call rather than just swapping the 'in' and 'out' fds?

> There is an assumption that one is a linear stream of output (in this
> case a socket) and the other one is a page cache based file.

That's an implementation detail and it's not clear we should be exposing it
to the user. It's not entirely insane to contemplate socket->socket or
file->file sendfile either -- would we invent new system calls for those
too? File descriptors are file descriptors.

> It would be nice to extend sys_sendfile to work properly in both ways
> in a manner that Linus would accept, want to work on that?

Yeah -- I'll add it to the TODO list. Scheduled for some time in 2007 :)

More seriously though, I'd hope that whoever implemented what you call
'sys_receivefile' would solve this issue, as 'sys_receivefile' isn't really
useful as anything more than a handy nomenclature for describing the
process in question.

--
dwmw2