    SubjectRevealing benchmarks and new version of contest.

    After my first incarnation of the responsiveness benchmark (contest), Rik helped
    me get the memory load working for 2.5.x testing. Now Andrew Morton has helped
    me improve the IO load. The previous IO load was "nice" to VM systems. Now for
    IO load there are two separate tests. First it continually rewrites a file half
    the size of the physical memory on the machine. Secondly it rewrites a file the
    same size as the physical memory. Below are the new benchmarks with these loads:

    Noload:
    Kernel Time CPU
    2.4.19-ck7 1:07.74 99%
    2.4.19 1:14.00 99%
    2.5.34(-mm4) 1:09.61 99%
    2.4.19-ck7-rmap 1:08.50 99%
    2.4.20-pre7 1:08.00 99%
    2.5.34 1:09.70 99%

    CPU Load:
    Kernel Time CPU
    2.4.19-ck7 1:10.39 93%
    2.4.19 1:27.94 80%
    2.5.34(-mm4) 1:11.42 94%
    2.4.19-ck7-rmap 1:11.32 92%
    2.4.20-pre7 1:21.91 80%
    2.5.34 1:11.46 94%

    Mem Load:
    Kernel Time CPU
    2.4.19-ck7 1:11.10 93%
    2.4.19 1:33.69 77%
    2.5.34(-mm4) 1:24.03 83%
    2.4.19-ck7-rmap 1:35.30 71%
    2.4.20-pre7 1:26.39 78%
    2.5.34 1:25.54 81%

    IO Load Half:
    Kernel Time CPU
    2.4.19-ck7 1:26.22 78%
    2.4.19 2:16.66 56%
    2.5.34(-mm4) 4:30.70 28%
    2.4.19-ck7-rmap 1:22.90 84%
    2.4.20-pre7 2:25.78 48%
    2.5.34 1:23.67 82%

    IO Load Full:
    Kernel Time CPU
    2.4.19-ck7 2:34.04 43%
    2.4.19 3:14.52 40%
    2.5.34(-mm4) 14:59.79 8%
    2.4.19-ck7-rmap 1:32.34 74%
    2.4.20-pre7 3:37.75 32%
    2.5.34 1:49.62 63%

    A quick reminder. Faster times are better, and higher cpu% is also better.

    As you can see there are stark differences in these kernels, particularly the
    mm4 changes. This time the -rmap VM shows us significant improvement under very
    heavy IO load. Repeat tests show similar results.

    The updated version of contest (v0.20) can be downloaded from my site:
    http://kernel.kolivas.net (look under the FAQ).

    Comments (and please cc me)?
    Con.

    P.S. !

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.053 / U:93.232 seconds]