    SubjectRe: Good way to free as much memory as possible under 2.5.34?
    Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Hi!

    > > > "Fixing" the VM just so it behaves the way swsuspend wants is
    > > > out. If swsuspend relies on all other subsystems playing nicely,
    > > > I think it should be removed from the kernel.
    > > >

    > > Yup. Martin Bligh is cooking up a multi-page allocation API, so when that's
    > > in place, swsusp need only do:
    > >
    > > LIST_HEAD(foo);
    > > alloc_many_pages(&foo, nr_pages, __GFP_HIGHMEM|__GFP_WAIT);
    > > free_many_pages(&foo);
    > >
    > > So I suggest you do something local for the while, plan to use that later.
    > >
    > > (Actually, the implementation would probably have a heart attack if you
    > > asked for 100,000 pages so you may need to sit in a loop there;
    > > we'll see).
    >
    > If nr_pages is > than number of pages really freable will it return
    > NULL or stall the calling process forever?

    Good point. In current Linus tree, it could be oom-killed. Later,
    lack of __GFP_FS will prevent that. But it could loop forever.
    I guess you'll need to drop the __GFP_WAIT and yield yourself, let
    kswapd free the next batch of pages.

    We need to do something more robust than this. I'll cook something up.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.032 / U:0.004 seconds]