SubjectRE: Killing/balancing processes when overcommited

> I still favor an installation file in /etc specifying the order in which
> things are to be killed. Any alogrithmic assumptions are bound to fail at
> some point to the dissatisfaction of the installation.

I agree, I don't see any other solution. btw the thing is not
simple. The oom killer should be able to comply instructions
like:

if (oom)
kill netscape if it uses more than 80MB {stdprio 10}
//sometimes if start sucking memory endlessly
kill make and its childs if overall they use {stdprio 7}
more than ...[cpu files memory]
//ever tried to make -j bzImage on a 64MB box ?
kill httpd if it's swapping too much {stdprio 3}

Well, it's not simple. It must be planned carefully, or it
will and up being as uneffective as the current killer is.

Bye.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.200 / U:0.828 seconds]