SubjectRe: 2.4.20pre5aa2
On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 19:23, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> that seems a bug in xfs, it BUG() if vmap fails, it must not BUG(), it
> must return -ENOMEM to userspace instead, or it can try to recollect and
> release some of the other vmalloced entries. Most probably you run into
> an address space shortage, not a real ram shortage, so to workaround it
> you can recompile with CONFIG_2G and it'll probably work, also dropping
> the gap page in vmalloc may help workaround it (there's no config option
> for it though). It could be also a vmap leak, maybe a missing vfree,
> just some idea.

We hold vmalloced space for very short periods of time, in fact
filesystem recovery and large extended attributes are the only
cases. In this case we should be attempting to remap 2 pages
together. The only way out of this would be to fail the whole
mount at this point. I suspect a leak elsewhere.

Samuel, when you mounted xfs and it oopsed, was it shortly after bootup?
Also, how far did your dbench run get before it hung? I tried the
kernel, but I paniced during startup - then I realized I did not
apply the patch to fix the xfs/scheduler interactions first.

How much memory is in the machine by the way? And Andrea, is the
vmalloc space size reduced in the 3G user space configuration?

Steve

--

Steve Lord voice: +1-651-683-3511
Principal Engineer, Filesystem Software email: lord@sgi.com