    SubjectRe: [RFC] Raceless module interface

    > Now there's the question "if this is such a great approach, why not make
    > all modules work this way, not just filesystems?". Easy: the magic
    > scheduling approach impacts the scheduler, however lightly, and worse,
    > we cannot put an upper bound on the time needed for

    You are in principle describing RCU. These guys seem to have solved the

    > magic_wait_for_quiescence to complete. So the try_count approach is
    > preferable, where it works.

    But the try_count approach hurts every user of the defined interfaces,
    even if modules are not used. Is the impact on the scheduler limited
    to the time magic_wait_for_quiescence is running.
    If so, the approach looks superior.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.023 / U:186.876 seconds]