SubjectRe: [RFC] Raceless module interface
Date

> Now there's the question "if this is such a great approach, why not make
> all modules work this way, not just filesystems?". Easy: the magic
> scheduling approach impacts the scheduler, however lightly, and worse,
> we cannot put an upper bound on the time needed for

You are in principle describing RCU. These guys seem to have solved the
problem.

> magic_wait_for_quiescence to complete. So the try_count approach is
> preferable, where it works.

But the try_count approach hurts every user of the defined interfaces,
even if modules are not used. Is the impact on the scheduler limited
to the time magic_wait_for_quiescence is running.
If so, the approach looks superior.

Regards
Oliver

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans