SubjectRe: XFS?
On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 01:01:38AM +0200, Robert Varga wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 02:21:46PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 08:20:36AM -0700, Nick LeRoy wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 11 September 2002 01:43, jw schultz wrote:
> > > I think this is a wonderful feature, albeit potentially confusing to a Newbie
> > > For my O2 running IRIX I get XFS whether I like it or not, for Solaris I get
> > > UFS no matter how much it sucks (I'm not really saying that it does; I don't
> > > have much knowledge of it to be honest). This multitude of choices really
> > > causes competition between them, and makes them all better in the long run.
> >
> > On Solaris and some other platforms you can, with lots of
> > money, buy a license to run the Veritas journaling
> > filesystem. It comes with a license manager and you have to
> > get license keys to mount the filesystems. Ever had a
> > filesystem not come up after a reboot because the license
> > expired, i have (ouch, i told management to renew the
> > license). Is veritas fast? I don't know. They hype the
> > journaling, not speed. And what are you going to benchmark
> > against?.
>
> Against UFS, of course [1] :-) Their hype is "our journal is faster than
> UFS", which is probably true. They have extent-based allocation,

Comparing Veritas FS against UFS is like comparing apples
and steak. Their goals are so diffent it is rediculous.

My comment is that with no apples-apples comparisons (or at
least apples-pears) who knows how good it is.

> which is good for their greatest hype - performance with databases
> (see all the marketing shredder-food about [Cached] QuickIO).
> They have hot resizing, which fast as hell (again, compared to UFS),
> they have snapshots, which are cool. And don't forget the GFS capability,
> which I am yet to see in action. [2]
>
> So in Solaris world, for large filesystems, Veritas is the winner. I am
> really looking forward to seeing how will they do in the OpenSource
> world.

Don't get me wrong, feature-wise Veritas FS is a great
product. Their hot resizing (including shrink) is a
must-have feature. I never had a lick of problems with it
despite flaky GbIX (Gibabit FCAL Interface transceivers).