    SubjectRe: large page patch (fwd) (fwd)
    Date
    On Friday 09 August 2002 17:56, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > > This reference describes roughly what I had in mind for active
    > > defragmentation, which depends on reverse mapping.
    >
    > Note that even active defrag won't be able to handle the case where you
    > want have lots of big pages, consituting a large percentage of available
    > memory.

    Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see why.

    > Not unless you think I am crazy enough to do garbage collection on kernel
    > data structures (repeat after me: "garbage collection is stupid, slow, bad
    > for caches, and only for people who cannot count").

    Slab allocations would not have GFP_DEFRAG (I mistakenly wrote GFP_LARGE
    earlier) and so would be allocated outside ZONE_LARGE.

    > Also, I think the jury (ie Andrew) is still out on whether rmap is worth
    > it.

    Tell me about it. Well, I feel strongly enough about it to spend the next
    week coding yet another pte chain optimization.

    --
    Daniel