On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Ingo Oeser wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 07:57:07PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > - We'll continue to suck for the University workload.
> Hop that's not an 2.6 option, because our University alone is
> using Linux on 1000+ machines, on 500+ private machines and lots
> of mission critical servers.
> If Linux becomes crap for the CPU-Server-Load, we would be VERY
> sorry here, since we are pushing it very hard[1].

Linux isn't yet up to having 500 simultaneous interactive
users, in fact I don't think it has ever been up to this

It'll probably work in many cases, but Linux just doesn't
have graceful degradation and code to cope with bad load
spikes (again, yet ... people are looking at handling this

That doesn't mean Linux isn't working in your situation,
if it works right now it'll continue working right, chances
are it should run better in 2.6.

"You're one of those condescending OLS attendants"
"Here's a nickle kid. Go buy yourself a real t-shirt"