SubjectRe: reiserfs blocks long on getdents64() during concurrent write
Hi!

sorry, I read this mail after Oleg's, so disregard my previous post.

On 5 Aug 2002, Chris Mason wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 14:30, Oleg Drokin wrote:

> > > is great).
> > > However, it does not apply cleanly to 2.4.19. It is already partly in, as
> > > it seems, but there are some rejects that are not obvious to fix for me.
> > > If this patch still makes sense, it would be great if someone with more
> > > knowledge/experience than me could have a look...
>
> The stack traces you sent earlier show a few procs stuck waiting for the
> transaction to begin, but they don't show which process is currently in
> a transaction (this is who they are waiting on).

The ShowTasks output is attached (it's a RedHat patched klogd which
resolves symbols on the fly). To me it looks like kupdated is indeed
inside do_journal_end().

> Oleg is right, they are probably waiting on kupdated, since the FS might
> get marked dirty faster than it can clear it.
>
> Another possibility is ctime/mtime updates during write.

In our application there are always at least one writer and one reader
active in one directory of the partition, both with data rates up to
10MB/s. The reader uses a block size of 128kB, but I don't know about the
writer.

> So, on ftp.suse.com/pub/people/mason/patches/data-logging
>
> Apply:
> 01-relocation-4.diff
> 02-commit_super-8.diff # this is the one you want, but it depends on 01.

Okay, will try.

> And try again. If that doesn't do it, try 04-write_times.diff (which
> doesn't depend on anything).

Is there a documentation about what this patch does as a whole?

Ciao,
Roland

| TU Muenchen | |
| Physik-Department E18 | Raum 3558 |
| James-Franck-Str. | Telefon 089/289-12592 |
| 85747 Garching | |

[unhandled content-type:application/x-gzip]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.079 / U:31.500 seconds]