SubjectRe: RE:2.4.19 warnings with allnoconfig
Hi Willy,

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> It is always bad to ignore the compiler's complaints, because it tells
> you that it may do things wrong when it's not sure about what you want.
> [snip] specially when indentation fools you. Eg, this common mistake :
>
> if (something1)
> if (something 2)
> do_2();
> else
> do_not_1();

You are quite right. Compilations should be SILENT. How else do you
know nothing's wrong? I would rewrite (refactor?) the code above as:

if( something1 )
{
if( something2 ) { do_2(); }
}
else
{
do_not_1();
}

and yes I use two spaces, not tabs, to indent, so I don't fall off the
page; and yes, I always use the braces, even in a one-liner; and yes,
I put the braces there and not like K&R, so I can see the buggers.
Also I NULL all my pointers immediately after declaring them AND after
using them, and I check they're not NULL before using them, which
prevents loads of segfault type errors when I screw up and...

But in trying to change the world, you're wasting time (and bandwidth :).

73,
Ged.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.068 / U:2.112 seconds]