    SubjectRe: 2.4.20-pre4-ac1 trashed my system
    On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:

    > This is not going to be fun.
    > grep "hwif->addressing" pdc202xx.c
    > Stub out the three lines.
    > Recompile and reboot, it will be fixed

    What version of the driver source are you using? In 2.4.20-pre4-ac1 and

    grep "hwif->addressing" pdc202xx.c

    finds only 1 line.

    There are however two other places in pdc202xx.c where one can find
    "drive->addressing", each used as a condition in an if-statement (which
    looks a lot like this might be the LBA48 fix you and Alan have been
    telling me about). What exactly do you want me to do? Knock out the
    if-conditions (and matching close-braces)? Knock out the entire block
    (and assumedly the LBA48 fix along with it) in each case?

    I've been trying different combinations but so far either the result has
    been no effect or fatally broken DMA (timeouts / failures at boot and
    then the driver falls back to PIO). I can post more details later, but
    I wonder if I'm missing something blindingly obvious here...

    Side note: In /proc/ide/ide2/hde/settings in 2.4.19-ac4, the "address"
    field reports a value of 1. However in 2.4.20-pre4-ac1, I instead find
    the value 0. Is this related to the addressing field in ide_hwif_t?

    Oh, and while futzing with things I tried another experiment with the
    hardware. This may be a totally unrelated problem. I attached a
    Plextor CD burner to the second cable of the Promise controller. It
    should show up as hdg. Under 2.4.19-ac4 it shows up. Under
    2.4.20-pre4-ac1 it isn't anywhere to be found - no errors, no hints
    anywhere in the system that it might exist. Yes, the IDE CDROM driver
    is compiled into the kernel.

    | Mike Isely | PGP fingerprint
    POSITIVELY NO | | 03 54 43 4D 75 E5 CC 92
    UNSOLICITED JUNK MAIL! | isely @ pobox (dot) com | 71 16 01 E2 B5 F5 C1 E8
    | (spam-foiling address) |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.022 / U:32.408 seconds]