SubjectRe: PROBLEM: CD burning at 12x uses excessive CPU, although DMA is enabled
On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 09:27:04AM +0200, Markus Plail wrote:
> * Anssi Saari writes:
> >I doubt that's the problem. As I've said before, I don't have this huge
> >slowdown problem if I plug the writer to a Promise pdc20265 or CMD649,
> >neither of which supports DMA for ATAPI devices. These controllers
> >however abort CD writing randomly so they are not a workaround...
>
> Well, they may very well just deal better with PIO modes.
>
> >I also don't have your DAO vs. TAO problem.
>

> Hmm.. you wrote that cdrdao gives the problem, but cdrecord
> doesn't.

I doubt that. Even if I did, it's wrong.

> And in a previous mail you wrote that you also have the
> problems when writing audio CDs.

Yes. Audio CDs and VCDs, to be exact. Probably anything other than
vanilla ISO9660.

> Are you sure that you really used DAO when using cdrecord?

Yes, I do that quite a lot since DAO is a requirement for overburning,
on my writers anyway. For both data and audio CDs. I just tried it
again. It makes no noticeable difference, -dao or not. Data write good,
audio write bad.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.053 / U:1.436 seconds]