    SubjectRe: [patch] adjustments to dirty memory thresholds
    William Lee Irwin III wrote:

    > On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 09:39:09PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > These ratios are scaled so that as the highmem:lowmem ratio goes
    > > beyond 4:1, the maximum amount of allowed dirty memory ceases to
    > > increase. It is clamped at the amount of memory which a 4:1 machine
    > > is allowed to use.
    >
    > This is disturbing. I suspect this is only going to raise poor memory
    > utilization issues on highmem boxen.

    The intent is to fix them. Allowing more than 2G of dirty data to
    float about seems unreasonable, and it pins buffer_heads.

    But hey. The patch merely sets the initial value of /proc/sys/vm/dirty*,
    and those things are writeable.

    > Of course, "f**k highmem" is such
    > a common refrain these days so that's probably falling on deaf ears.

    On the contrary.

    > AFAICT the OOM issues are largely a by-product of mempool allocations
    > entering out_of_memory() when they have the perfectly reasonable
    > alternative strategy of simply waiting for the mempool to refill.

    I don't have enough RAM to reproduce this. Please send
    call traces up from out_of_memory().

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:21.730 / U:0.008 seconds]