    SubjectRe: [patch] "fully HT-aware scheduler" support, 2.5.31-BK-curr

    On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Rusty Russell wrote:

    > > - HT-aware affinity.
    > >
    > > Tasks should attempt to 'stick' to physical CPUs, not logical CPUs.
    > Linus disagreed with this before when I discussed it with him, and with
    > the current (stupid, non-portable, broken) set_affinity syscall he's
    > right.

    actually, affinity still works just fine, users can bind tasks to logical
    CPUs as well. What i meant was the affinity logic of the scheduler (ie.
    affinity decisions done by the scheduler), not the externally visible
    affinity API.

    > You don't know if someone said "schedule me on cpu 0" because they
    > really want to be scheduled on CPU 0, or because they really *don't*
    > want to be scheduled on CPU 1 (where something else is running). You
    > can't just assume they are equivalent if they are the same physical CPU.

    i dont assume that. There's also a fair amount of code in the kernel that
    relies on binding threads to particular CPUs, the patch does not break
    that in any way.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.026 / U:89.236 seconds]