    SubjectRe: VM changes added to performance patches for 2.4.19
    On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 wrote:

    > With the patch against 2.4.19:
    > Scheduler O(1), Preemptible, Low Latency
    > I have now added two extra alternative patches that include
    > either Rik's rmap (thanks Rik) or AA's vm changes (thanks to Nuno Monteiro for
    > merging this)
    > For the record, with the (very) brief usage of these two patches I found the
    > rmap patch a little faster. This is very subjective and completely untested.
    > Check them out here and tell me what you think(please read the FAQ):

    I tried the 2.4.19-ck3-aa patch last night, and did a few informal tests
    against my current production kernel, 2.4.19-ac4. Machine in Athlon
    1400MHz, 1GB RAM, 20+30GB WD disks.

    Kernel compile was about 7 sec faster with ck3-aa, 6:58 vs 7:05 (no -j

    Then I did my nightly backup of a scanned documentation project, making a
    CD image from the scans, currently ~570MB. I was on ck3-aa, and I said
    "self, that seemed pretty fast!" So I rebooted cold and tried the mkisofs
    with both kernels, twice each.

    2.4.19-ac4 2.4.19-ck3-aa
    mkisofs 570MB 2:05 1:14

    It was repeatably 40% faster! More testing, and now I'll build a stock
    2.4.19 kernel for additional testing, and pull that responsiveness
    benchmark and try that, too.

    Looks like a nice job overall, I'm putting it on a laptop tonight, which
    may give a better idea of how fast, or not, it really is.

    bill davidsen <>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.023 / U:24.792 seconds]