SubjectRe: Memory leak
On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Aleksandar Kacanski wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running 2.4.18-3 version of the kernel on smp dual
> processor and 1GB of RAM. My memory usage is increasing and
> I can't find what exactly is eating memory. Top and proc
> are reporting increases, but I would like to know of a
> better way of tracing usage of memory and possible leak in
> application(s).
>
> Please reply to kacanski@yahoo.com
> thanks Sasha

Applications that use malloc() and friends, get more memory from
the kernel by resetting the break address. It's called "morecore()".
You can put a procedure, perhaps off SIGALRM, that periodically
checks the break address and writes it to a log. Applications
that end up with an ever-increasing break address have memory
leaks. Note that the break address is almost never set back.
This is not an error; malloc() assumes that if you used a lot
of memory once, you'll probably use it again. Check out sbrk()
and brk() in the man pages.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
The US military has given us many words, FUBAR, SNAFU, now ENRON.
Yes, top management were graduates of West Point and Annapolis.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.075 / U:0.872 seconds]