lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2002]   [Aug]   [26]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
From
SubjectRe: MM patches against 2.5.31
Date
On Monday 26 August 2002 21:24, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > On Monday 26 August 2002 17:29, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> > > On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 04:22:50PM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > > > On Monday 26 August 2002 11:10, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> > > > > + * A special Problem is the lru lists. Presence on one of these lists
> > > > > + * does not increase the page count.
> > > >
> > > > Please remind me... why should it not?
> > >
> > > Pages that are only on the lru but not reference by anyone are of no
> > > use and we want to free them immediatly. If we leave them on the lru
> > > list with a page count of 1, someone else will have to walk the lru
> > > list and remove pages that are only on the lru.
> >
> > I don't understand this argument. Suppose lru list membership is worth a
> > page count of one. Then anyone who finds a page by way of the lru list can
> > safely put_page_testzero and remove the page from the lru list. Anyone who
> > finds a page by way of a page table can likewise put_page_testzero and clear
> > the pte, or remove the mapping and pass the page to Andrew's pagevec
> > machinery, which will eventually do the put_page_testzero. Anyone who
> > removes a page from a radix tree will also do a put_page_testzero. Exactly
> > one of those paths will result in the page count reaching zero, which tells
> > us nobody else holds a reference and it's time for __free_pages_ok. The page
> > is thus freed immediately as soon as there are no more references to it, and
> > does not hang around on the lru list.
> >
> > Nobody has to lock against the page count. Each put_page_testzero caller
> > only locks the data structure from which it's removing the reference.
> >
> > This seems so simple, what is the flaw?
>
> The flaw is in doing the put_page_testzero() outside of any locking
> which would prevent other CPUs from finding and "rescuing" the zero-recount
> page.
>
> CPUA:
> if (put_page_testzero()) {
> /* Here's the window */
> spin_lock(lru_lock);
> list_del(page->lru);

According to my assumption that lru list membership is (should be) worth one
page count, if testzero triggers here the page is not on the lru.

> CPUB:
>
> spin_lock(lru_lock);
> page = list_entry(lru);
> page_cache_get(page); /* If this goes from 0->1, we die */

It can't. You know that because you found the page on the lru, its count
must be at least one (again, according to assumption above).

> ...
> page_cache_release(page); /* double free */

I'd like to jump in and chase more solutions with you, but the above doesn't
prove your point, so I'm not ready to reject this one yet.

--
Daniel
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.120 / U:3.516 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site