    SubjectRe: your mail
    On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Bill Unruh wrote:

    > OK, that problem is usually a "hardware" problem-- ie the hardware is
    > not responding properly to the icotl request. This could be because
    > there is not hardware there (eg trying to open a serial port which does
    > not exist on the machine), or is busy, or has been left in some weird
    > state. The last sounds most likely here-- eg the serial port on your
    > modem thinks it is still busy.
    > You could try running the little program I got basically from Carlson in
    > to try resetting the serial line befor the next attempt (eg, put it into
    > /etc/ppp/ip-down).
    > Not sure if this is the problem however.

    Another 7 minutes, and I'll know if this worked or not.

    Another data point I just thought of, if i poff chatham, and then pon
    chatham, that actually works.

    It just hung up.

    And redialed.

    And connected properly.

    Thank you so very much, it looks like your reset-serial did the job.

    I'll implement it on future machines, just in case the same problem
    happens, rather than pray it works.

    I saw a lot of postings on the 5160 USR modem on the serial-pci-info list,
    perhaps it's something to do with this modem.

    I'll know for sure at 10:30 this evening, if it is definately owrking or
    not. I was logged in on the other line to monitor the syslog, and bring
    up the internet line, just in case.

    Thanks again,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.024 / U:2.084 seconds]