SubjectRe: your mail

OK, that problem is usually a "hardware" problem-- ie the hardware is
not responding properly to the icotl request. This could be because
there is not hardware there (eg trying to open a serial port which does
not exist on the machine), or is busy, or has been left in some weird
state. The last sounds most likely here-- eg the serial port on your
modem thinks it is still busy.

You could try running the little program I got basically from Carlson in
http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/modem-chk.html
to try resetting the serial line befor the next attempt (eg, put it into
/etc/ppp/ip-down).
Not sure if this is the problem however.

--
William G. Unruh Canadian Institute for Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy Advanced Research Fax: +1(604)822-5324

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.507 / U:0.320 seconds]