    SubjectRe: large page patch (fwd) (fwd)
    Date
    In article <Pine.LNX.4.44L.0208131425500.23404-100000@imladris.surriel.com>,
    Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:

    | Suppose somebody sends you a patch which implements a nice
    | algorithm that just happens to be patented by that same
    | somebody. You don't know about the patent.
    |
    | You integrate the patch into the kernel and distribute it,
    | one year later you get sued by the original contributor of
    | that patch because you distribute code that is patented by
    | that person.
    |
    | Not having some protection in the license could open you
    | up to sneaky after-the-fact problems.
    |
    | Having a license that explicitly states that people who
    | contribute and use Linux shouldn't sue you over it might
    | prevent some problems.

    Unlikely as this is, since offering the patch would probably be
    (eventually) interpreted as giving you the right to use it under GPL, I
    think this is a valid concern.

    Maybe some lawyer could add the required words and it could become the
    LFSL v1.0 (Linux Free Software License). Although FSF would probably buy
    into a change if the alternative was creation of a Linux license. There
    are people there who are in touch with reality.
    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc