SubjectRe: IDE-flash device and hard disk on same controller
Date
In article <A9713061F01AD411B0F700D0B746CA6802FC1464@vacho6misge.cho.ge.com>,
Heater, Daniel (IndSys, GEFanuc, VMIC) <Daniel.Heater@gefanuc.com> wrote:

| OK. hdc=flash works where hdc=hard drive and hdd=CompactFlash.
|
| Thanks Padraig.
|
| I guess it's 6 of one, half-dozen the other, but telling the kernel that my
| hard drive is a flash drive just makes me feel squidgy! I'm still inclined
| to suggest that the test that _prevents_ hard drive + CF configuration is no
| longer appropriate now that _some_ (most??) hardware vendors have figured
| out how to get ide-flash devices to work without "hanging" when no second
| device is present. Users with incompatible hardware can still prevent the
| long system hang by using hdx=none.

I think that traditionally people with broken hardware have been the
ones to use parameters to warn the kernel about them. I certainly have
run some ill-behaved hardware that way ;-) Since there is now and will
be in the future more correct systems than broken, it would seem that
the default would be to work with correct systems.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc