    SubjectRe: Problem with random.c and PPC
    From

    On donderdag, augustus 22, 2002, at 03:19 , David Wagner wrote:

    > Chris Friesen wrote:
    >> The problem is this. If you have an embedded system that is headless,
    >> diskless, keyboardless, and
    >> mouseless, then your only remaining source of any interrupt-based
    >> entropy is the network.
    >
    > Try replacing "network" with "/dev/zero" to see how your sentence
    > sounds, and then maybe the flaw in your reasoning will become apparent.
    >
    > "If you have an embedded system that is headless, etc., then your
    > only remaining source of entropy is /dev/zero."
    >
    > Well, sometimes there is just no reliable entropy source on hand.
    > Maybe it's better to admit that than to fool ourselves.

    And how would you see this. On a diskless/headless system, you'll be
    sure to find more than one NIC, making it IMHO very unlikely for one
    attacker to be able to generate so much traffic on all of those that all
    NICs are continuesly generating interrupts. Granted, it's not the best
    source of entropy, but it's guanranteed to be more that /dev/zero.
    Having your network cards in your entropy pool, is not really bad, and
    is a lot better than not being able to generate session keys at all for
    your ssh connection.

    > -
    > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
    > in

    ---
    Met vriendelijke groeten,

    Remco Post

    SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam http://www.sara.nl
    High Performance Computing Tel. +31 20 592 8008 Fax. +31 20 668 3167

    "I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
    industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer
    industry
    didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.024 / U:31.864 seconds]