SubjectRe: MAX_PID changes in 2.5.31
On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 23:11, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> Ha, Alan - I am a bit slow, and you are a bit brief, but let us see.
>
> I interpreted your "throughout" as "also outside IPC", and hence asked
> for clarification. For the moment, let me assume that we are just talking
> about SYSV IPC. (You were not thinking about uids instead of pids?)

I don't think there are any other pid ones. I've no idea what libc4 used
but I don't think I actually care .

On the kernel side I found a ushort pid in coda, but I can't actually
easily tell if thats a process id or a coda thingy. We have some other
sloppy pid users but they all appear to be int (eg vt_kern.h)

> Remains the question whether that is bad.
> With large pid_t, the four variables msg_lspid, msg_lrpid, shm_cpid,
> shm_lpid will be truncated.
>
> Who uses these? Nobody, as far as I can see from a recent collection
> of RPMs.

I have to admit I've not looked. I know of one (older AberMUD) which did
it for security tricks but thats hardly relevant to this nor a reason to
worry.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.082 / U:0.132 seconds]