SubjectRe: cpu speed is 165mhz instead of real 650mhz
Once again I am on a 147Mhz system....

george anzinger [Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 01:13:18PM -0700]:
> Nico Schottelius wrote:
> > Joshua Uziel [Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 03:27:09AM -0700]:
> > > * Nico Schottelius <nicos-mutt@pcsystems.de> [020724 02:03]:
> > >
> > > Is this a notebook computer? Is it that you're sometimes booting it up
> > > while the system is unplugged (ie. on battery)?
> >
> > yes,it is, but slowing down to 500 mhz is the only available speedstep
> > option.
> >
> > 165 or similar is not supported (afaik) by the bios/processor.
> >
> The cpu speed is detected by comparing the TSC against the
> PIT.

I don't even now any of these both.

> The PIT is used to drive the clock. If it is wrong by
> this much you should see time drifting like mad.

Hey, you are right! Instead of 13 o'clock it's 5 o'clock.
What todo now ? I am staying on this downclocked system, if you
need some more informations.

> If the TSC
> is wrong, you should see errors in the sub 1/HZ correction
> applied to get_time_of_day().
> You could detect this by
> looping on a get_time_of_day() call and noticing that time
> slides ahead 3/HZ seconds and then back each tick. What
> would be happening is that the interpolation code would be
> taking the fast TSC (i.e. 500MHZ when it thought it was 165)
> and be pushing time out beyond the next tick value. Each
> tick this would reset and be replayed. If neither of these
> is happening, the reported value is most likely what is
> really going on.

Nice explanation. I think I understood 85 % of it :)

Nico

--
Changing mail address: please forget all known @pcsystems.de addresses.

Please send your messages pgp-signed and/or pgp-encrypted (don't encrypt mails