    SubjectRe: IDE? IDE-TNG driver
    Scott Bronson wrote:
    > On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 15:57, Ruth Ivimey-Cook wrote:
    > > a) some people want basically module-less kernels
    > Everyone I've heard advocating a moduleless kernel uses an argument that
    > boils down to "it's slightly more secure." Does anybody have a GOOD
    > reason for not using modules?

    1. "No need". Doesn't apply to everybody of course, but
    many have enough memory and don't plug in much new stuff.
    Recompiling & booting for the rare occation where you
    bought a new usb device is ok.

    2. A simpler setup. No /etc/modules.conf to worry about.
    Compiling ALSA into the kernel surely made life easier.
    even more so when also using devfs...

    3. Performance. Compiled-in stuff is always there, and
    on x86 it exists in the kernel's 4M page so no
    TLB loading overhead either.

    > Someone replied off-list saying that initrds are too hard to create.
    Actually, that isn't an argument for linking everything in.
    All you need is the drivers for your root fs and root device.
    The rest may still be modular, loaded from /lib/modules on
    that root fs.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.022 / U:15.884 seconds]