    SubjectRe: MAX_PID changes in 2.5.31

    On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > The main problem is that there's the old-style SysV IPC interface that
    > uses 16-bit PIDs still. All recent SysV applications (linked against glibc
    > 2.2 or newer) use IPC_64, but any application linked against pre-2.2
    > glibcs will fail. glibc 2.2 was released 2 years ago, is this enough of a
    > timeout to obsolete the non-IPC_64 interfaces?

    I actually did the pid changes partly to flush out problems spots, on
    purpose making it 30 bits even though I actually eventually still think
    that we may want to use a few bits for things like node ID numbers etc.

    > if that is the case then can i rip all the non-IPC_64 parts out of ipc/*,
    > and let non-IPC_64 calls fail? Right now it's silent breakage that
    > happens.

    Add a warning for now, the same way we did with stat() etc when moving to
    64 bits.

    > or, in my threading tree, i introduced a /proc/sys/kernel/pid_max tunable,
    > which has the safe conservative value of 32K PIDs, but which can be
    > changed by the admin to have higher PIDs.

    Fair enough.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.023 / U:30.996 seconds]