SubjectRe: cerberus errors on 2.4.19 (ide dma related)
commence  Ed Sweetman quotation:

> On Sun, 2002-08-18 at 14:20, Sean Neakums wrote:
>> commence Ed Sweetman quotation:
>>
>> > It appears i'm completely unable to not use devfs. Attempting to
>> > run the kernel without mounting devfs results in it still being
>> > mounted or if not compiled in, locks up during boot. Attempts to
>> > run the kernel and mv /dev does not work, umounting /dev does not
>> > work and rm'ing /dev does not work. I cant create the non-devfs
>> > nodes while devfs is mounted and i cant boot the kernel without
>> > devfs. It seems that no uninstall procedure has been made and i've
>> > read the documentation that comes with the kernel about devfs and it
>> > says nothing about how to move back to the old device nodes from
>> > devfs.
>> >
>> > anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> Where does the boot hang? If it comaplains about not being able to
>> open /dev/console or some other device node, it may be that your /dev
>> has no nodes in it. This happened to me when I eradicated devfs (I
>> got fed up of fighting with devfsd to get my permission changes to
>> stick, and had reshuffled FSes in the meantime) and so I booted from a
>> rescue disk, mounted my root FS and recreated the device nodes in
>> /mnt/dev.
>>

> I know i have no device nodes. I removed them all before installing
> devfs.

You must have been really keen on devfs.

> the devfs documentation says it doesn't need to have devfs mounted
> to work, but this doesn't seem to be true at all.

If it does say exactly that, then it is outrageously wrong.

> Hence my confusion. I know i can go download a bootable iso and get
> that burned and working but I shouldn't have to do that.

Uh, you deleted your devices nodes, and now you want to boot the
system without devfs. You have to do precisely that, or something
equivalent.

--
/ |
[|] Sean Neakums | Questions are a burden to others;