SubjectRe: cerberus errors on 2.4.19 (ide dma related)
On 18 Aug 2002 14:29:23 -0400
Ed Sweetman <safemode@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> I know i have no device nodes. I removed them all before installing
> devfs.

Well then you have no device nodes without devfs. D'uh? :)

> the devfs documentation says it doesn't need to have devfs
> mounted to work, but this doesn't seem to be true at all.

No, the devfs documentation says that it is "safe" to have devfs
compiled in and not use it -- you will just use the standard /dev. It
does not imply in any way that you will be using devfs if you don't
mount it, it says that if you choose _not_ to use devfs, then it will be
able to fall cleanly back to standard /dev. In other words,
CONFIG_DEVFS_FS provides the _ability_ to use devfs, not a
_requirement_.

That's all it says.
To assume that it means anything else would be incredibly silly.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.110 / U:6.548 seconds]