    SubjectRe: [kbuild-devel] Re: [patch] kernel config 3/N - move sound into drivers/media
    On Wednesday 14 August 2002 07:49, Peter Samuelson wrote:
    > [Kai Germaschewski]
    > > It comes of the cost of testing for the architecture, since
    > > e.g. s390 does not want to include most of drivers/*, but that means
    > > we'd actually collect this knowledge at a centralized place.
    > What we need is an easy way to check for any arch. CONFIG_ARCH_S390
    > is the right idea (though s390x sets it as well, not sure if that's
    > good or bad).

    It's not logical, but it tends to help because it's what's meant most
    of the time. I don't know a single place in the kernel where you want
    to test for (CONFIG_ARCH_S390 && !CONFIG_ARCH_S390X).

    Rather than making everything depend on CONFIG_ARCH_THIS && CONFIG_ARCH_THAT,
    I'd prefer if every driver depended on its bus type. With the new driver
    model, every driver has a clearly defined bus type and driver class,
    so it would be logical to have that driver option exactly when these two
    are enabled. Of course, that probably means a huge amount of work but it
    helps avoid problems when a new architecture is added or an existing one
    gets a new bus.
    E.g., s390 used to have no support for SCSI, but with the zfcp driver
    we enable drivers/scsi/, so now we get a lot of questions about
    drivers that won't work. Enclosing the drivers in "CONFIG_ARCH_s390" != "y"
    does help us, but it would still be wrong to do that for a Sparc kernel
    that supports some of the PCI cards but not the ISA ones.

    Arnd <><

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.023 / U:207.164 seconds]