    SubjectRe: [patch] printk from userspace

    On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
    > > On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 09:11:55PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > > It requires root.
    > >
    > > Still, unlike kernel code that can be rate limited, this call cannot.
    > > Besides, isn't adding yet another syscall that's equivalent to write(2)
    > > a reason to take this patch and burn it along with the vomit its caused?
    > I have a better suggestion. How about we make write(2) on /dev/console to
    > act as printk()? IOW, how about making _all_ writes to console show up in
    > dmesg?
    > Then we don't need anything special to do logging _and_ we get output
    > of init scripts captured. For free. dmesg(8) would pick that up, klogd(8)
    > will work as is, etc.
    > Linus?

    Well, apart from the fact that you get into an endless loop with klogd,
    who wants to spew the kernel messages back to the console under some

    That said, I like the notion. I've always hated the fact that all the
    boot-time messages get lost, simply because syslogd hadn't started, and
    as a result things like fsck ran without any sign afterwards. The kernel
    log approach saves it all in one place.

    But /dev/console just sounds potentially _too_ noisy.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.035 / U:3.120 seconds]