    SubjectRe: [patch] config language dep_* enhancements
    Peter Samuelson wrote:
    > [Kai Germaschewski]
    > sed '/dep_/s/ \$CONFIG_/ CONFIG_/g' is quite effective. In any case
    > it is not hard to support both syntaxes - once the transition is
    > complete,

    Does "complete" mean all the ports have also made the change and been merged back?

    or reasonably complete, we can change the semantics to
    > 'n'=='', which in Configure/Menuconfig can only be enforced in the
    > non-$ case (well, unless we use your 'source' statement idea).

    I don't think it's good policy to have the $ and non-$ cases behaving
    differently if we can avoid it.

    > > I find a) more intuitive, for people who know sh, it's pretty
    > > clear when we use "$" and when not. Also, for 'if' statements,
    > > we'll have to use the "$" variant anyway for all I can see, so I
    > > prefer that from a consistency point of view.
    > The problem with "intuitive for people who know sh" is that people
    > think *is* shell. They start putting in constructs which
    > are not valid syntax but which *are* valid sh syntax, so
    > they work with certain parsers but not others.

    Tell me about it ;-) Actually the incidence of this is low, presumably
    someone comes along and reports an xconfig failure and the problem gets
    fixed. I found only a half-dozen or so of these.

    I'm more concerned about subtle dependencies on execution order resulting
    from misuse of conditionals.

    the price of civilisation today is a courageous willingness to prevail,
    with force, if necessary, against whatever vicious and uncomprehending
    enemies try to strike it down. - Roger Sandall, The Age, 28Sep2001.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.023 / U:171.256 seconds]