SubjectKernel compiled from source won't read /parts/ of a CD?

This is one of the strangest situations I have ever seen: my
re-compiled Linux 2.4.18 kernel now /refuses/ to read /only/ the
"/Mandrake" directory branch of all three of the Mandrake distribution
CDs. It /has/ to be some kernel option, but I can't figure which one;
any advice or debugging hints at all are greatly appreciated.

I had to recompile a Mandrake 8.2 kernel to remove pcmcia support (so
I could use the sf release of it) Using the stock Mandrake 8.2 binary
kernel, the CDs can be read just fine, it is only the kernel that I
compiled from the linux-2.4.18-6mdk.src package that has this trouble.
There are no warning messages, only one line returned to the console
to say "ls /Mandrake: Invalid argument" and one line in syslog to say
"ISO 9660: RRIP_1991A" and that's the total diagnostic information I
have.

Using /usr/bin/isoinfo, I can list the CD contents just fine; all the
unix tools (ls, cd, cp ...) and rpm cannot read /Mandrake.

What could I have possibly omitted from the kernel config to cause
this? How could that one directory be singled out by a simple kernel
config problem? (or could it be a gcc 2.96 problem?)

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."(Pablo Picasso)

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."(Pablo Picasso)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.041 / U:3.660 seconds]