    SubjectRe: Funding GPL projects or funding the GPL?

    On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, David Schwartz wrote:

    > >First, we were talking about written for free vs. written to make money.
    > >Second, the quality of the output depends on the quality of the process,
    > >not how much you pay for it. Equally likely isn't what I said, either.
    > I give one person $2,000 and one person $50,000 to buy a car. Would you
    > argue that they are equally likely to come back with quality cars?

    If you send both to area famous for seedy dealers? Yeah - both will
    come back with painted pieces of shit, unless they'll have uncommon
    luck to find something better. And that's a *BIG* luck.

    Face it - in a lot of categories the market of software is market
    of snake oil. When all alternatives on the market are utter crap and that
    situation hadn't been changed in decades... And I mean all - be they
    commercial, free, for Linux, Solaris, Windows, VMS, HP-UX, yaddda, yadda;
    it doesn't matter.

    It's nice to pretend that this is not the case. Just don't forget
    to pray when you view a PDF or PostScript document from some site. Or
    listen to mp3. Or view a picture in one of $BIGNUM formats.

    And don't give me that crap about Sturgeon's Law - for many categories
    we are talking about 100%, not 90%. Sheesh...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.020 / U:46.872 seconds]