    SubjectRe: [rfc] aio-core for 2.5.29 (Re: async-io API registration for 2.5.29)

    On 1 Aug 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

    > For a lot of applications like multimedia you actually want a counting
    > of time not any relation to real time except that you can tell how many
    > ticks elapse a second.

    Absolutely. I think "jiffies64" is fine (as long as is it converted to
    some "standard" time-measure like microseconds or nanoseconds so that
    people don't have to care about internal kernel state) per se.

    The only thing that I think makes it less than wonderful is really the
    fact that we cannot give an accurate measure for it. We can _say_ that
    what we count in microseconds, but it might turn out that instead of the
    perfect 1000000 ticks a second ther would really be 983671 ticks.

    A 2% error may not be a big problem for most people, of course. But it
    might be a huge problem for others. Those people would have to do their
    own re-calibration..

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.028 / U:1.576 seconds]