    SubjectRe: Terrible VM in 2.4.11+?

    On 2002.07.09 Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:

    >Yes, I know a few people that reports it works well for them. How ever for me
    >and some other do not. System is redhat 7.2, ASUS A7V MB, /dev/hda is on promise
    >controller. Following helps a lot:
    >
    >while true; do sync; sleep 3; done
    >
    >How did you modify the params of bdflush? I do not want to suspend i/o buffers
    >nor disk cache..
    >
    >Another thing to notice, the X server has almost every time some pages swaped to
    >the swap space on /dev/hda. When bdflushd is flushing buffers X server stops as
    >has no access to the swap area during i/o lock.
    >
    >On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 05:37:02PM -0500, Austin Gonyou wrote:
    >> I do things like this regularly, and have been using kernels 2.4.10+ on
    >> many types of boxen, but have yet to see this behavior. I've done this
    >> same type of test with 16k blocks up to 10M, and not had this problem I
    >> usually do test with regard to I/O on SCSI, but have tested on IDE,
    >> since we use many IDE systems for developers. I found though, that using
    >> something like LVM, and overwhelming it, causes bdflush to go crazy. I
    >> can hit the wall you refer to then.When bdflushd is too busy...it does
    >> in fact seem to *lock* the system, but of course..it's just bdflush
    >> doing it's thing. If I modify the bdflush params..this causes things to
    >> work just fine, at least, useable.

    Seriously, if you have that kind of problems, take the -aa kernel and use it.
    I use it regularly and it behaves as one would expect, and fast.
    And please, report your results...

    --
    J.A. Magallon \ Software is like sex: It's better when it's free
    mailto:jamagallon@able.es \ -- Linus Torvalds, FSF T-shirt