    SubjectRe: BKL removal
    Oliver Neukum wrote:
    >>BKL use isn't right or wrong -- it isn't a case of creating a deadlock
    >>or a race. I'm picking a relatively random function from "grep -r
    >>lock_kernel * | grep /usb/". I'll show what I think isn't optimal
    >>about it.
    > Perhaps, we could agree that the BKL is used wrongly if it
    > won't fulfill its presumed function, or fulfills another function
    > than the obvious without a comment stating that, or fulfills
    > a non obvious function without any comment ?

    I wouldn't want to make comments the qualifier for correct use,
    because that makes large chunks of the kernel "wrong" for lack of
    comments. In a development series we also don't want to restrict
    ourselves to changes of things that are wrong. We can also improve
    things that are bad.

    Dave Hansen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.021 / U:30.236 seconds]